Victory for Oscar de la Hoya as judge throws out $5million suit
A Playboy model and alleged prostitute who sued Oscar De La Hoya after claiming he had imprisoned her in his hotel suite has failed in her fight for $5million compensation from the boxer. Angelica Marie Cecora, 25, said that Mr De La Hoya had repeatedly demanded sex when she was trying to sleep after a drug-fuelled orgy at a Manhattan hotel. But a judge today declared that the lawsuit was ‘frivolous’, and ordered Ms Cecora and her lawyer to pay a $500 fine each, as well as refunding the defendant’s legal fees. Ms Cecora claimed that after dinner with the married ex-boxer on March 15 last year, the pair retired to his room in the Ritz-Carlton hotel overlooking Central Park. After consensual sex, Mr De La Hoya, 38, put on Ms Cecora’s underwear and ordered drugs to his room at New York’s Ritz Hotel, the lawsuit said. He allegedly then requested an extreme sex act and Ms Cecora obliged before having her roommate come over with sex toys. Ms Cecora and her friend then fell asleep but Mr De La Hoya allegedly tried to pull her out of bed three times for more sex, according to the lawsuit. She was ‘afraid to leave the hotel room because she feared the defendant would attempt to have sex with her against her will,’ her lawyer said. But on Thursday Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Paul Wooten said Ms Cecora’s claim was ‘completely without merit in the law’. He noted that the plaintiff’s allegations did not add to abuse even if they were true, as the boxer ‘never threatened her with force’. The judge also pointed out that Ms Cecora, who did not file criminal charges against Mr De La Hoya, held a press conference on the day of the opening hearing, which could support the defence’s argument that she was looking for publicity.